Here's a few pics.
For anyone planning to build a 'studio', here's my itemized breakdown.
The white storage cubes are from Michaels. I already had them. They're sold as scrapbooking/craft storage and are on sale on a regular basis, or you can use their 40% off coupons. I love the modular format as I can make them work around my style. The book case, I already had found it at a yard sale a couple of years ago for $8 or so. The chairs are from auctions. They were around $5 each.
The desk surface is a 4'x8' sheet of 5/8" MDF from Home Depot. It retails for about $35 but this was in the bargain bin at 50% off because one surface had 'skid' marks, and one of the edges had a ding in it from the straps that they use to bind a stack of wood. Since I was having it cut to 36"x78" and the other side was pristine, I grabbed it!! The Depot has a cutting service, so the dashing fellow cut it to size for me for free. Now I also have the cut off pieces for "extra" stuff.
I mounted the desk on the wall using large L brackets. Make sure you use a good stud finder because these have to be mounted securely to the wall. Then the desk surface is screwed to the other side of the brackets.
I used 2 ballisters (the posts of a stair railing) for support legs along the front edge. One is beside the white cubes, the other is beside the maple table. This table I've had since I was 17. I bought it at an auction. It was covered in heavy grey paint and had the marbled grey arborite with the metal edge on it - circa 1950's. I had it restored about 20 years ago and it's a beautiful, solid maple table - gate legged,with a double drop leaf. When it's closed it's only about 12" wide. It has come to college with me and served as a desk, and has moved with me at least 7 times.
There is another wheeled cart that is part of the Michaels storage system that I use for a cutting table. I will fit right between the book case and the desk. That way, I can move it around to my left side when I need to support a large quilt for tabletop quilting. I'm just waiting for a a strong lad to help me bring it downstairs, since it weighs a ton.
The recessed area for the sewing machine is made from a piece of the extra MDF. I used small L brackets bolted together to make a Z shape and hung the base from that. They're relatively cheap at Home Depot and a few bolts and screws finished that job.
I've kept the cut out piece and plan to put some "legs" on it so I can place it back in, if I need to use the whole desk surface.
Separating the room off in the basement was a bit pricier project. Studs, drywall, sound/fire insulation, mud, paint, etc. I'm lucky I had a friend who was able to help with that. I did pay an electrician to move the outlets and light fixture boxes and switches to where I needed them.
Finally, I purchased a 2'x4' sheet of pegboard and mounted it on the wall above the storage cubes. Yes, that is a hammer hanging there. You never know when you need a hammer!! The pegboard also gives me a place to (finally) hang my rulers so I can find them :)
There are a few more odds and ends that still have to come down from upstairs, but for the most part, it, and I, am raring to go.