Friday, November 18, 2011

FNSI Results

Tonight's project was continuing to work on some banners that my church asked me to make into quilts. The design was already made, I just needed to interpret it into fabric.
I had decided that this would need to be out of a fabric with more character than quilting cotton, and after looking at some options, like upholstery cottons and the like, found them to be way, way out of the budget range.
So I went back to the fabric store for another look and happened upon the bridal satin area. Eureka. That was the solution. At $22/meter, that was far better than the $60+ that the other was.
The colours were available too, so then it was just the technique that had to be ironed out. I decided on reverse applique for the logo, and had the lettering done by a local embroidering company.
Once that was done, it was time to play. I found working on satin very soothing. It catches the light and plays with it while you're working with it and it slides through the machine easily. Then there is the tactile sensation of working with its silky texture, that is just amazing.
I used a freemotion design I saw on Leah Day's freemotionquilting.com site. She is an amazing quilt guru. I follow her blog daily.
So swirling water it would be, somewhat symbolic, as water is used for baptism into new life, and this banner is in honour of a renewal, or "rebirth" of our congregation.
I soaked the quilt and blocked it by stapling it to a frame of 1"x2" bars. When it is dry, I'll be able to square it up and bind it.
So, without further adieu, Here is the Bethel Renewal Banner.




10 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Beautiful!

Christie describeHappy said...

So pretty!! You really do amazing work and glad to hear you had a good night sewing!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

This is absolutely beautiful! Your choice of fabric is perfect. I would not have considered quilting on satin, but it really does look great.

Debbie said...

You did a wonderful job! It looks wonderful.

barb's creations said...

OH WOW!doesn't the quilting make the design just pop.Love it! :) Barb.

Just Sew Sue said...

Absolutely gorgeous, the church will be very pleased with the results

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness...the texture created by your quilting is fabulous! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Your quilting is absolutely stunning. The final banner is going to be beautiful.

lroghair/lparks said...

Absolutely stunning!! Wow!

Ellen said...

Lovely work!