Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 Etched in memory forever

If you were on this earth on 9/11, no doubt you will never forget where you were or what you were doing when you got the news.

I was feeding breakfast to my then 1 yr old son when I heard on the radio to turn on the tv.  I was watching when the second plane hit.
I remember thinking "Oh God help us, it's the beginning of WW III"
That night I went in for night shift and every available tv was on and turned to the news on some channel.  As the night went on, the sense of dread mounted.

Watching the rescue effort every day became too much for me to bear, so I stopped watching tv.  I have chronic depression and it was way too triggering.

What I want to remember is the sense of oneness in the rescue effort.  Everyone, from layperson to professional worked together with one goal in mind.  First to rescue anyone, anyone who might have miraculously survived.  Then to recovery, of as many people's remains as could possible be identified.

Now that the skyline, forever changed, is rebuilding, we will always remember.
Remember 9/11

No comments: