Thursday, April 28, 2011

A good, or at least interesting day.

Today started off by taking a cranky kid to dentist. Cranky because he was hungry. You see, DS is an extreme, let me repeat, EXTREME needle phobic. So, he gets nitrous oxide for his dental work, which by default, means he has to fast from midnight the night before his appointment. This is a kid who is ravenous at breakfast, so, he was cranky. Then we were going to "try" to go without the nitrous, which lasted oh, about 4 seconds. An hour and a half later, we were home. Now he was cranky because not only was he even more hungry, he now had a frozen tongue and lip. FINALLY about an hour later he felt he had recovered enough that he ate a bowl of oatmeal and was much happier. At least the oatmeal didn't dribble down his shirt!
The rest of the day was spent with him trying to keep busy with tv, and video games, and books because the weather, (sigh) is still yucky.
Then the real fun began. A friend asked if I could bring her son home from school. Since my guy wasn't at school today, I hesitated, but then figured he would be ready for some play by that time, so agreed to go pick up her son. Well, you need to know that these two 10 yr olds got into a punch up in the playground a week ago. The 'friend' made it perfectly clear on the way home that all is not yet forgiven. (another sigh) So, Grandma picked him up earlier than planned.
Then a miracle happened! My son cooked supper. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My boarder told me that she had conspired with him to do this so I went on a convenient errand 20 minutes before suppertime, and when I returned, there was a steamy, hot meal of KD and beans ready, with a kid beaming from ear to ear! I like those kinds of surprises - keep it coming!
On the sewing side of things, I hit my favorite thrift store this afternoon and scored a dozen or so pairs of denim jeans. I've harvested the fabric, so I have enough now for my denim quilt. I think. Then I had the hand - forehead moment! Hey, I should use one of these discarded tops of the jeans to make a bag! I did, but not before a few blue words came wafting through the house, and 2 broken needles, and a couple of "error" alarms on the sewing machine. A curious note - when I do something nasty like that to my Horizon, she fights back! She runs backwards!!!
If I grab the handwheel to stop a needle breaking - you know - when the machine makes that awful grinding noise and you know it's not going to go through the fabric? When that happens, I grab the wheel and hold it until the machine gives up and stops. Well, the princess doesn't like that - oh no. If I don't turn the machine off to reset her brain, she runs backwards until I do.
I guess that is equivalent to a toddler having a temper tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants eh?
Anyway, the bag is done. She has a lovely bright pink zipper. I did sew the fly closed so there are no accidental loss of items. But considering it cost me less than $2 to make - it's pretty cute.

2 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

That is a really cute purse!

Pat said...

Quite a day! I've heard the Horizon can be somewhat testy. Glad everything worked out okay.