Saturday, May 12, 2012

Had a great day, but oh how my feet hurt....

Today was the garage sale where I was a vendor, sharing a table with my friend Robin of Red Bird Designs.  She carries my bags in her shop, along with her own, and since she had to be in the shop today, I offered to do the garage sale.  We were up at 6, yes that's 6 am.  I haven't done that since my nursing days - about 5 years ago.  So after sharing the sunrise with my son, we took the loaded van and off we went to the fairgrounds.  Lots of signs directed us to the right place and I secretly gave myself a pat on the back when we scored a parking spot right at the entrance door!!!   I later found out that this is the first year that the sale was held indoors.  Apparently, in previous years, they set up in the parking lot the night before and had volunteers (real estate agents) camp out on security duty overnight.  This was a huge step up and kudos to the companies who sponsored the cost of the buildings. :)
Then I was in awe at the sight.  The rear half of the building (about half the size of a football field) was filled with the garage sale part of the sale.  The front half was filled with rows of tables for the vendors.  We were the first table, on the first row as you entered into the room.  Yay!
It took us about 20 min to set up, and then stood back a bit to take in the people rush.
Then we stayed, and stood, and paced, and danced when someone turned on the stereo to see if it worked (a few times), and sat, and paced some more.
I remember why I don't hold yard sales.
I smiled a lot, said hello a lot, explained how our bags are all home made and one of a kind.
And sold - exactly 3 bags.  Two to friends.
Now don't get me wrong, I did do a lot of advertising for Robin's shop and for my quilting 'work', but I was rather disappointed in the sales.
I know the majority of the attendees were in "bargain mode", but it was advertised that there were going to be vendors there, and who they were going to be.
The hosts were attentive, handing out water bottles, and coffee,
There were tons of teenage volunteers who carried out purchases for people (we have lots of teen volunteers ever since it became a rule that a teen needs 40 hours of volunteer work in order to graduate high school)
So, by the time we left at 2 pm, and returned Robin's merchandise to the shop, and got home, my feet hurt.  My dogs were on fire.  And my real dog wanted a walk!!  I managed to ply her with treats while I rested for an hour, and the mustered up my courage to take her out for a SHORT walk.  Once I got moving, it actually felt good.  I think I'm starting to enjoy our walks.  So, we managed to do our whole route.
Now we both have sore feet.

On a better note, May 18 is,  ta da!~!!!!   Friday Night Sew In with Heidi.  I'm going to spend my week coming up with a special project to do that night - just for me!

Tomorrow is Mother's Day.  I hope all the Moms out there get spoiled rotten and enjoy their day.  I know I will.

No comments: