Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Playing with Paper Piecing

I had some spare time on my hands, and a couple of fat quarters of Stonehenge fabric.  So, what's a quilter to do?  Play with a new technique, that's what.
I've done paper piecing before for a tiny project that I never finished.  But I've been seeing it pop up on blogs and videos lately, so I thought I'd give it another try. 
First, I drafted up the pattern as I saw it on a video.  The first one, of course, I got backwards !
Then, I made four blocks of the original size.  So I thought, "why not go smaller?"
A few photocopies later, and I had the pattern for a smaller size - 60% of the original.
Made up four blocks, and thought "why not go smaller yet?  So, repeat process, going to 30% size and made four of them.  I stopped there :)
Then, what am I going to do with 12 blocks, in three different sizes?
Sew them together!
I used the 'cut it larger and then trim' technique for the setting triangles to get the pieces to fit.  Unfortunately, I ran out of the background fabric.  It's a MODA blender, so I should be able to get more at my LQS.


Here's what I have so far:  I think it looks like a Christmas Cactus don't you?
It's obvious that I need to practise a bit more - the points are "a bit" off.   As I tell my son, you can't be perfect at something the first time you try it, or why would you do something again?  (as in, get your butt in gear and practise your drums!)

No comments: