Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Some starts, some re-starts, some boo-boos

Good morning to everyone. It's only 11:00 am, and I feel like I've put in a day already. DS actually went to school with a minimum of fuss today, so that's a plus. Then I dropped off the van for an oil change and to check because the ABS light was on. Next, to the bank and then to ToysRus for a Christmas shopping run. It turns out my local ToysRus is closing their electronics department and consolidating it to another location. I guess the Future Shop next to it will benefit from that decision. Well, on to quilting.

I posted earlier that I've started doing feathers. Here's a quick view of the stitching on my stashbuster quilt. I think it's pretty good for a first run at feathers!






Then, there is this little matter of a charity quilt I worked on. Our guild donates children's quilts to the CAS to give to kids that are taken into foster care. The ladies make the tops and package them up with the batting, backing and binding fabric. At our guild meeting we can pick up as many bundles as we'd like and bring them back, finished, to the next meeting. It's a great way to get some practise in for free, and try some new techniques, and not have the cost of materials come out of your own pocket.

However, this one taught me a couple of lessons. First: If your machine starts making a different sound that usual, investigate. Sooner than later. I heard the machine change it's tone, but the stitching was fine so I kept on. Then I thought I felt a bubble under the fabric and tried to smooth it, but it wouldn't. So I turned over the quilt, and this is what I saw.
Yes, the quilt had picked up a hitchhiker. I had some left over binding strips laying on my table, and one ended up under the needle. By the time I noticed, I had about a foot and a half to unstitch.
Lesson two? Keep your sewing area neater!

So now I've finished that little quilt and I quite like how it turned out. I made feathers in rows, starting from the middle and going around and around until I got to the edge. A loopy loop border and then machine binding. This time I used a machine feather stitch to secure the binding. I like how it looks. I'll have to do that again.









So that's what I've been up to. Now I'm wondering if the budget will allow a fabric shopping trip. Just yesterday I bought 10 meters of 90" wide batting - Fabricland had it on for $10/meter. It's not Warm & Natural, but it's pretty close. I gave it a bit of a stretch test in the store and it didn't leave any marks, so I think it should be good. It better be, as I have 10 meters of it!
That's it for now, I feel a nap coming on. The dog's laying on my feet - it's her way of telling me I've left her alone too long.

No comments: