Saturday, September 25, 2010

Maybe I should have measured first...

Tonight was the night. My new Horizon was going on the frame. The main reason I bought the Janome Horizon 7700 was because it has a 11" throat, perfect for quilting on a quilt frame, right? Well, when I tried to put her on the carriage, she---didn't---quite---fit. That's right, I could not get her through the handle bars on the carriage. I only needed another 1/2" in width, but NO, she wouldn't fit. So what's a girl to do? Answer: take the offensive bars off, that's what. So out came the wrenches and off they came. Then the girl fit just fine. I was wondering how I was going to get the handle speed control to fit the Janome plug, well now I don't need to. I just put the foot control upside down on the top of the machine and held it there with a 1" wide piece of elastic. That way when I need to get into the top for thread or bobbin winding or whatever, it just slips off for easy access.
That's when I noticed that some of the wheels of the carriage, weren't on the tracks. Two were, and two weren't. Of course it was one of each on the front and the back. So after fiddling with it a bit (and uttering a couple of words I am ashamed are in my vocabulary) I finally just stuck my scissors in there and pried the one wheel out, away from the carriage. It popped into place and then everything lined up. Hooray! Now the carriage runs smoother too, so it must have been off before, when I used it with my other Janome.
So, now I'm too pooped to do some practicing, so, I'll get to that tomorrow.
What else did I do today? I finished marking mom's quilt. Along the way I noticed that I had another 4 patch block in the wrong way, so I fixed that.
And, I moved part of my stash downstairs!!!!! I started wrapping my fabric around 7 1/2" x 11 1/2 " pieces of sign board, as seen on a tutorial from alaskasunshine on the quilting board website. Basically, she folds the fabric lengthwise one more time , making it approx 11" wide, and then rolls it onto these plastic corrugated boards so they can be lined up on a bookshelf just like bolts in a fabric store. I had a bin full of them done already, but nowhere to put them.
Today, I found a 6 shelf bookcase, perfect for the job, at a yard sale - for 8 bucks! Woohoot, score! My boarder/friend/roomie pal Janet helped me carry it in and bring it down to the sewing "studio" in the basement. It took me about 2 minutes to get my stash on the shelves. There is room for a lot more, so I'll be wrapping in my spare time for the foreseeable future.
When I am not quilting, of course.

No comments: